Pomorie - combine spa and beach recreation in Bulgaria
The town of Pomorie lies on a narrow rocky peninsula. The town was founded in the 4th c. B.C. by Greek colonisers from Apollonia. The ancient name of the town was Ankhialovhich meaning beside the salt. Today Pomorie enjoys popularity as a holiday resort. The town is famous for its mineral springs and mud treatment. All year round is visited by journeyers decided to spend some days in relax. The hotel poses modern spa facilities. The choice for holidays in Pomorie reveals really combination of beach and spa healing.
The town was known as a resort to the first Thracians settled in our lands. Later the ancients called the lake near the town the Sacred Lake. Used as a resort during the Middle Ages by the Byzantine Emperor Justinian the Great, the resort was also used by the Turkish Sultans from the 14th to the 19th c.
The following diseases can be treated here: diseases of the locomotor system, of the genitals, inflammatory and hormonal troubles in women, of the peripheral nervous system. The sun shines here more than 2 300 hours a year, the sea is shallow and safe. There are many new hotels nowadays, as well as private appartments and houses. Every year many tourists come here and enjoy their holidays in the resort of Pomorie.
There are many sightseeings in the town and around it:
Opened and consecrated in 1764 the church represents a three nave solid building with wooden ceilings without an apse to the east side and with a two-sloped roof. The decoration inside includes masterpieces-icons and wood-carving.
The church Rozhdestvo na Presveta Bogoroditsa (1890) is also worth visiting. The icons from the saints` and apostles` rows were painted by Russian masters with academic education.
At the place of today`s monastery St. George there was a Thracian sanctuary. A marble relief of a Thracian rider dating back to the 2nd -3rd c. proves that. A legend tells that the Turkish governor Selim Bey went down with a serious disease, and when he was cured, he adopted the Christian religion. After becoming old, he took the vows, built a chapel in his former farm and owed his property to the monastery.
The Antique dome Tomb is situated in the outskirts of the town. It is under a mound dating back to the 3rd c. It consists of a vaulted 22 m long passageway, ending in a round hall11.60 m in diameter. The hollow column from which penetrates daylight. According to its character the tomb is a kind of mausoleum where the members of distinguished family were burried. The tomb is a genuine masterpiece, a significant achievement of the ancient architecture.
The town has wine cellar which is near the town. Many tourists visit it to taste wonderful wine with which the town of Pomorie is world famous.